The MSW program encourages an in-depth study of students' individual areas of interest. The curriculum also values adult education principles by facilitating and expanding the resources students bring to the program. The program include coursework, a practice based research paper and a practicum:
- Our core courses give you an overview of interests within the field of social work, while elective courses allow you to focus your interests and explore them on a more theoretical basis.
- The Practice–based Research Paper encourages theoretical and conceptual depth in your area of interest.
- The practicum provides experiential training, where you may apply newly acquired techniques and insight.
Advanced Standing MSW Program
Candidates for the one year (full–time) or two years (part–time) Advanced Standing MSW Program must fulfill the following requirements as follows:
- Social Work 5150 3.0 — Critical Perspectives in Social Work
- Social Work 5250 3.0 — Graduate Research Seminar
- Social Work 5350 6.0 — Practicum (Pass/Fail)
- Social Work 5450 3.0 — Practice-based Research Paper Seminar (Pass/Fail)
- Social Work 5550 3.0 — Indigenous Worldviews and Implications to Social Work
Two elective half courses from the series Social Work 5900 3.00 to 5999 3.0, or approved course from another Graduate Program
Two–Year (Full–Time) MSW Program
Candidates for the 2–year (full–time) MSW Program must fulfill the following requirements: 42 credit hours of coursework (including four 3–credit electives), two practicum placements (12 credits), and a Practice–based Research Paper.
Core (required) courses:
First year core courses
- SOWK 5010 3.0 — Social Work Theories and Critical Practice Part 1
- SOWK 5011 3.0 — Social Work Theories and Critical Practice Part 2
- SOWK 5020 3.0 — History of Social Welfare and Social Work from Critical Perspectives
- SOWK 5030 3.0 — Oppression and Intersectionality
- SOWK 5040 3.0 — Social Welfare and Social Policy
- SOWK 5050 3.0 — Understanding Organizations for Social Work Practice
- SOWK 5310 6.0 — Practicum
Second year core courses — similar to the existing 1 Year Full time Advanced Standing MSW
- SOWK 5150 3.0 — Critical Perspectives in Social Work
- SOWK 5250 3.0 — Graduate Research Seminar
- SOWK 5350 6.0 — Advanced Practicum
- SOWK 5450 3.0 — Practice-based Research Paper Seminar (Pass/Fail)
- SOWK 5550 3.0 — Indigenous Worldviews and Implications to Social Work
Four elective half courses from the series Social Work 5900 3.00 to 5999 3.0, or approved course from another Graduate Program